The holiday season is over, our family is gone (sadly), (and now that half of January is already over) I am ready to think about the new year. While I don't do resolutions, mostly because they have a bad connotation about them and I don't want to set myself up for failure, I do make goals. Simple, easy to understand, and no added stigma to it.
In 2015, I want to work on being the best me that I can be. For myself, for my family and friends, and for my husband. I have made a small list of those things I want to work on. Some are a little more personal, that I will only share with my guy, and some I feel more comfortable sharing here in black and white. It makes me feel more accountable to say/write/express it here.
- Being grateful for the small things was one of my favorite goals last year. It helped me stay thankful for the good weeks and most importantly the bad weeks. Of course, the bad weeks were harder. It's always a test to be positive when you don't really feel it. But all you can do is try your hardest, and I feel I did a good job. I can give myself a small pat on the back.
- This year, I am not going to do a weekly thankful post. But I do want to spend time each night thinking about the simple things I am grateful. That really nice compliment that the girl in the grocery store gave you, the flirty mood your husband was in, or the sweet kisses that your pups gave you. Life is so so sweet. Let's try to remember it a little more.
- Let's open our hearts more often, be less angry about things that aren't worth it, and love eachother a little bit more.
- Being open is a really hard thing to do. No one wants to put themselves out there and be rejected. But it is even worse to regret not doing something, or saying the thing you really wanted to. So I am vowing myself to be more open. To love more, be more patient, and give more of myself to those I meet.
- With all of the technology out there and the mass amounts of ways you can connect to people, it is easy to get carried away with being on your phone all.of.the.time. I see it everyday. The couple on their phone at dinner, or the people talking in line at the supermarket.
- I don't want to be that person. I have a friend that says all the time " be with us". Meaning, get off of your phone and be in the moment. With the people in front of you. So from now on, I am going to try to stay off of my phone and more with the people that mean the most to me.
- I have put too much off, for too long. And it is time we get to business getting everything together. The project I said I was going to finish last month, well let's just go ahead and get it done. That room that need repainting, take a day and paint it. Just go, and do it. It will feel so much better when I can check it off of my list.
- This is going to be my hardest goal this year. I start projects and have a lot of energy at first. But if I don't get that project done right then and there, I lose momentum. And don't end up finishing.
- This goes hand in hand with being less serious for me. So many terrible things going on and we need to have more fun while we can. Don't turn down that free trip your parents invite you on. Don't turn down that drink with your girlfriends because you are tired after work. Because these are the days guys, these are the memories. Make them good!
So here is to a new year and a new attitude! Cheers and Happy New Year's. I am ready to take on 2015. The best is yet to come!